Thursday, April 02, 2009

On The Side: Hot Swiss Scalloped Potatoes

We invited a family over for dinner one night this week and I decided to roast a pork loin for the occasion. I planned to make oven-fried potato wedges as a side, but the wedges need to cook 100 deg. hotter than the loin for half an hour, so I started scouring for another dish that would fit better with the cooking time-table.

I discovered this recipe in my little cookbook Just Like Grandma Used to Make. It is so good that I think that if I hadn't made a chocolate chip pound cake, I might just have had potatoes for dessert!

Hot Swiss Scalloped Potatoes

1 1/2 c. Swiss Cheese, shredded and divided
1/2 c. green onions, sliced
6 T. butter, divided
2 T. flour
1 tsp salt
1 c. milk
1 c. sour cream
4 large potatoes, cooked, peeled & sliced
3 cups cooked ham, diced
1/4 c. fine dry bread crumbs

Combine 1 c. cheese and onions, mix well and set aside. Over medium heat, melt 2 T butter; stir in flour and salt; gradually add milk. Cook and stir until thickened, remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Grease a 3 quart casserole and line the bottom with 1/3 of potato slices, then 1/2 of the ham, and 1/2 of the cheese/onion mixture. Repeat layers and top with last 1/3 of potatoes. Melt remaining 4 T butter and mix with bread crumbs and reserved cheese. Sprinkle over casserole and baked uncovered at 350 for 30-35 minutes.

In hindsight I might have used 4 red potatoes or Yukon golds (I usually don't buy the Yukon potatoes b/c my grocery store only sells them in a big bag and they go south much faster than other potatoes, but they are good!). I used 2 reds and 2 baking potatoes. After boiling the potatoes, the baking potatoes were impossible to slice, so I crumbled them up and mixed them with the reds' slices. It was very yummy. I also used whole milk and regular sour cream. This was no diet-dish. This recipes makes a lot of servings (at least 10) and reheats well.

No comments: