Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Soups on!: Tomato Basil Orzo Soup


How comforting does that photo look!

Wow, talk about a great pair - Tomato Basil Orzo Soup and Asiago Bread. I posted the recipe for the bread a few posts back, but this time I made it with the cheese in chunks instead of shredded. The main difference is that when you cut the bread, there were little pockets of cheese throughout (very fancy looking), I did think though that the bread with the shredded cheese seemed fresher the 2nd day than the chunk bread. Otherwise, great either way!

Tomato Basil Orzo Soup

1 cup each chopped carrot, celery and onion
1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and thyme
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
2 cans (19 ounces) ready-to-serve tomato basil or hearty tomato soup
2 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup uncooked orzo pasta

Saute chopped veggies and herbs in oil for 8-10 minutes. Add soup and broth, bring to boil and stir in orzo. Reduce heat, simmer until orzo is cooked and veggies are tender - about 10 minutes.

Note: Stir while simmering the orzo, otherwise it will sink to the bottom and stick. I used the hearty tomato soup and used fresh basil and oregano from my garden.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I will definitely have to try this combo! That bread looks professional Leah!!

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

The bread calls for covering it with flour during the proofing and then spritzing it with water right before baking - I haven't seen another recipe that called for those two steps. I think that makes it look the way it does. It also makes a crispier crust.