Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Broccoli

My mom passed on this easy way to cook broccoli to me.  I think it is from Alton Brown - who I can always count on to find a new way to cook something better!

You'll need:
Broccoli with stems
1/3 cup water
butter to taste

I usually make two big pieces and that is enough for us.  Trim off the florets and set aside.  Peel the stem and cut first in half lengthwise and then into slices.  Put the stem pieces in the bottom of a pan and pour in water.  Top with florets.  Cook on high for 3 minutes, then on low for 3 minutes - that is, put the pan on the burner, set it to high and set the timer, don't wait for it to come to a boil.  After it cooks add butter (I add about 1 tbsp) and stir to make a light butter sauce.  Serve immediately.  I am still trying to sell the rest of the family on the stem pieces, but I think I like them BETTER than the florets. 

No comments: