Thursday, April 26, 2007

New Cookbook!

During my recent trip to Arkansas, I increased my cookbook collection by one. This cookbook is a fundraiser type cookbook for, of all things, a historic cemetery. Actually I think still bury people there from time to time; the most recent burial listed was 2005.

The title is Remembering... and is all about the favorite recipes of the people buried in the Sardis Cemetery, which is next to the Sardis United Methodist Church. It says it's in Pine Grove, Arkansas and it very well may be, but I have been there and it is deep in the woods on a gravel road. I have tried to find a picture of it online in vain. It's a pretty, old church and is on the National Register of Historic places.

The funny thing about this cookbook is that it's filled with pictures...of tombstones. For example on the title page for the Appetizers, Soups and Salads section there are two pictures of the cemetery from differnt angles. It's like a grim reminder that food borne illnesses kill 5000 people every year in the US. Kind of makes you want to go sanitize your cutting board doesn't it?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OK... that's morbid and just hillarious!

Anonymous said...

That cookbook sounds absolutely hilarious! I hope it's got some great Halloween recipes. Death-by chocolate cake mix maybe?

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I'm kind of interested in the recipe for Pecan Crisps (in memory of Mrs. Etta Horton 1896-1984) - it calls for 7 ingredients and the instructions simply say, "Bake 375 degrees till light brown."