Friday, August 31, 2007

Homemade Starbucks

I usually don't see the rational in paying more than $3 for 10oz of coffee, but Rob babysat Caleb for me on Tuesday morning while I went to Publix and I wanted to suprise him with a Mocha - his favorite. While I was waiting in line I was tempted by the rows of fancy danishes and coffee cake. One option was Chocolate Cinnamon Bread - and it was calling my name! But I resisted and was rewarded, because at the pick up end of the counter, there were little recipe cards for Chocolate Cinnamon Bread. Caleb and I made it today and WOW! It's really not bread - more like a chocolate pound cake with a hint of cinnamon. Here's how to make it at home:

Chocolate Batter:
1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter, at room temp.
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs, at room temp.
1 cup AP flour
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp cocoa
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Cocoa-Spice Sugar Crust
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp coca
pinch ground ginger & cloves

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time - wait til each egg is no longer visible before adding the next. Combine flour, cocoa, cinnamon, salt, baking soda & baking powder - add to creamed mixture a couple of spoonfuls at a time until well mixed. Combine liquid ingredients, pour in and mix well. Pour batter into a loaf pan lined with parchment. Combine crust ingredients and sprinkle liberally over the batter. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick or skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool, remove from pan, serve slices with coffee - Starbucks, 7-11, I don't think it matters at this point. ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that sounds great... I'll have to try it sometime.