Tuesday, October 28, 2008

How to: Make Rice in the Microwave

It never occured to me to make rice in the microwave, but my favorite celebrity chef - Alton Brown - says anything that does not need to be browned can be cooked in the microwave! So the other night when I realized I was using my normally rice pot for something else, I thought, there must be a way! And there is....and I was so happy with the results, I think I will cook it in the microwave from now on.

To do it...

Put 2 cups of water in a microwave safe bowl that also has a lid
Stir in however much salt you prefer.
Stir in 1 cup of long grain white rice.
Microwave uncovered on HIGH for 5 minutes, then cover and microwave on HALF POWER for 15 minutes.

The awesomest thing about doing it this way is that the bottom does not burn! Hooray! The dish is so much easier to clean out. The rice is a little sticker, but we like it that way.

If you're going to cook another kind of rice, consult the package or the internet. :)

No comments: