Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Just Like Grandma's: Swedish Meatballs with Sour Cream Sauce

The sauce is a pretty creamy lavender and it is yum yum good!

Swedish Meatballs in Sour Cream Sauce

1lb ground pork
1 cup soft bread crumbs
1 1/2 T. chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
2 T. butter (divided)
1 cup beef broth
1/2 lb sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 c. red wine
8 oz sour cream

Mix pork, bread crumbs, onion, salt, nutmeg and half of butter - form into 1 1/2 inch balls. Place in a baking pan and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes (until browned). Add broth to pan, cover tightly with foil and bake 30 more minutes. Remove meatballs and keep warm. Skim fat off of liquid and move to saucepan. Boil to reduce by half. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining butter; add wine, meatballs and liquid. Simmer 5 minutes, then stir in the sour cream and heat through without boiling. Serve over rice or noodles.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

trying it this week!

Unknown said...

did you use red wine?

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Yes I did! I bought a cheap bottle of Merlot. If a recipe calls for white wine, I usually substitue with chicken broth, but I don't know what to substitute for red wine.

Unknown said...

me either. I made it and it was just ok. I got impatient with the meatballs so I just broiled them and then I put too much wine in. :) and so I put some more sour cream in. It was a bit wine tasting.

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

yeah it does take a long time to cook them like the recipe calls for.

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

just curious, did you use fat free sour cream? I made it once with regular and once with light and it was definitely better with the regular sour cream.

Unknown said...

I used light sour cream... and ground turkey instead of pork