Friday, July 24, 2009

Daily Bread: Pillow Soft Rolls

Although my Nanny's rolls are very good, I've been experimenting with some alternate recipes because I like to avoid trans-fats when possible and her recipe calls for shortening. These are actually from a cookbook she gave me for Christmas a few years ago and I used her stand mixer to make them. They are extremely good - better than that even - I told Caleb they were "Mary Poppins" Rolls - practically perfect in every way! I made a few changes to the Taste of Home recipe and I made a half batch (a full batch is way too much for us), so I'll list what I used.

1-3/4 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 packages instant dry yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp)
1/2+1/8 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup water
1 egg
1 tablespoon butter, melted

In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Stir in sour cream and water; beat until blended. Beat in egg until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes. Knead with dough hook for about 5-6 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise about 1 hour (til doubled).

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Using the dull edge of a table knife, make an off-center crease in each roll. Fold along crease so the small half is on the top; press along folded edge.

Place in a greased 9 in. x9 in. baking pan, allowing edges to touch. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 25 minutes. Brush tops with butter. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 10-12.

The original recipe can be found here. I didn't have sour cream, so I used the yogurt, which is fat free, so I can't image how good these things are with full fat sour cream!

9/17/09 **Amendment** I've made these rolls a few more times and have found that I actually get a BETTER result using the non-fat plain yogurt than with sour cream.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ooo... I'm tryin' em