Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Daily Bread: Flatbread

Although the recipe recommended rice, something in me thought flatbread would be just the thing to have with our Indian dinner tonight. At first I figured I'd buy some, but I found a recipe online and decided to give it a try. It is not difficult, but it is not fast, so it is something I will probably rarely do. After you make the dough, you portion it out into little balls and roll them very thin.

Then you cook them on a hot griddle (or in my case a cast iron skillet) - interestingly, the griddle or skillet must be dry - no cooking fat added.

Cook on each side about 1-2 minutes.

Flatbread:
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
Thyme - the recipe said 3 tbsp fresh, but I only had dry, so I just added about 1 tsp.
3/4 cup water

Mix dry ingredients well, add water and stir to make a ball. Then knead about 5 minutes. Grease a bowl, put it in the bowl to rise - about 1 hour. Portion out, roll, and cook as above. The recipe said it would make 20, my first one was too small, so I made 10.

We served it with Chicken Korma, which reminded Rob of an old roommate and reminded me of this little West Indian restaurant over on 168th St...yum!

And Cucumber Salad, called for jalapenos, I omitted them because I knew that would make it too hot for the kids. They both liked all 3 dishes. The Korma could have been spicier for me, but really it tasted very good.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that Korma looks good and I'm going to try it. The flatbread is kind of like chipati in Indian food. Like a whole wheat tortilla that puffs up a little bit.