Saturday, May 10, 2008

Tastes Like Chicken: Rotisserie Chicken Ragout

Every now and then I add a recipe onto my meal plan that I think - no way am I going to like this one! But I'm not sure why I add those meals on, usually I don't like them, but this is an exception.

Ragout is a French cooking term, which I'm not sure how to pronounce - but I think it's ragoo, basically it's a catchall term that means to make a sort of stew. Based on what I read on wikipedia, I think they usually include tomatoes, but this recipe does not.

Rotisserie Chicken Ragout*

1 cup chopped yellow summer squash
1 cup chopped zucchini
1/2 cup chopped onion
1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups cubed cooked rotisserie chicken
1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Saute the squash, zucchini, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add chicken through pepper, cook until heated through, stir in the parm.

This was much (MUCH) more tasty than I expected it to be. I think the cream made a big difference. I added the garlic in the last minute of saute-ing because it has a tendancy to burn. And I didn't use a rotisserie chicken, instead I seasoned 3 legs and 2 thighs with salt, garlic powder, and cumin (no pepper - pepper burns) and broiled them then shredded the meat - more work, but much cheaper. Also I used dry thyme.

*Simple and Delicious Magazine

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hum... I'll have to try that ragout sometime soon. (accidental rhyme there)

Unknown said...

I made the ragout last night. It was really good and lots of veggies which I liked! Ben really liked it too. Maybe I'll post pictures. I took some. :)