Tuesday, May 05, 2009

The Long Awaited Revolving Meal Plan

I have finally contented myself with a revolving meal plan that allows a little variety. I made it a 3 week revolving plan with the main dish's main ingredent repeating every week. I made up a master grocery list so I can stock up on ingredients when they are on sale. As it happens (today was grocery day), a few of the items I needed for this week were on sale, so I should start seeing the savings in about three weeks...if my hypothesis is correct.

Here is the meal plan:

T – Fish or Shrimp
Week 1 – Fried Rice with Shrimp (with Salad)
Week 2 – Broiled Fish or Shrimp (with Salad and dinner rolls)
Week 3 – Fried Catfish (with French fries, hush puppies and cole slaw)
W – Cooked, Shredded Chicken
Week 1 – Chicken Pot Pie
Week 2 – Chicken Taco Bake (with Salad)
Week 3 – Rotisserie Chicken Ragout (with Dinner Rolls)
R – Pork or Beef
Week 1 – Beef Stew
Week 2 – Chinese New Years Skillet (with egg rolls)
Week 3 – “Hay and Straw” (with Salad)
F – Bone In Chicken (with sweet potatoes, peas, and biscuits)
Week 1 – Paprika Chicken
Week 2 – 20 Cloves and a Chicken
Week 3 – Apple ‘n’ Onion Chicken
S – Beans
Week 1 – Black Bean Soup (with bread)
Week 2 – Ham and 15 Bean Soup (with corn muffins)
Week 3 – Great Northern Bean Stew (with corn)
U – Ground Beef/Ground Pork mix
Week 1 – Spaghetti (and garlic rolls and Salad)
Week 2 – Lasagna (and garlic rolls and salad)
Week 3 – Salisbury Steak for Two (with Mashed Potatoes and corn)
M – Whole Roast Chicken (with _____, carrots, and peas)
Week 1 – with Stuffing
Week 2 – with Biscuits
Week 3 – with Baked Potatoes

Although I like variety (a lot), these days are so busy - Annalise is really hitting a new stride with getting into mischief! I think it will simplify things to go with this plan without making it too mundane.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

interesting! only someone organized could figure it out. Let me know how it goes and if it saves.

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

The kids are making me more organized - when I start to think about how specific our daily routine has become, it makes me think I might have some kind of disorder!

Unknown said...

how is this plan going? you think it's saving money?

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

Well this week, I spent all of my 2 week budget, but it is really getting hard to buy all we need and stay in budget. The price per meal to stay at that amount has gotten pretty difficult to manage - something like $.21 per person per meal, which works for breakfast, but not the other meals. However, I did make all the food for this week, plus I found a good deal on ground beef, so I have all the ground beef I'll need for the whole 3 weeks. I made lasagna yesterday and froze half of it, so in 3 weeks we can eat it "for free"! I don't think I will see much savings until we get through the cycle once completely, but I think it will help me to save time since I can make more things in advance, which I guess I could have been doing all along, but I think it will be easier to remember what needs to be done earlier if I am doing it over and over again. Annalise is at a very exhausting age right now! She climbs everything and can get into drawers and cabinet so fast. I feel like I need to keep an eye on her all the time!

Unknown said...

hey.. just thought I'd let you know what I'm doing as a test. I've bought powdered milk and when the gallon of milk that I bought gets half empty I'm going to mix up a half gallon of the powdered milk and add it to the milk to save money. I've heard you can't taste a difference.

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

I've heard that too - let me know if it's true!