Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Tastes Like Chicken: Crispy Chicken Nuggets

Long before I made the rotating dinner menu, I had already designed a weekly lunch menu for our family. I did it because I felt like we were eating PB&J everyday and because I wanted our kids to eat more vegetables. So for example, every Monday we have "Mac & Cheese and Little Green Peas". Tuesday is Bagel Pizzas with cherry tomatoes (we - ok I - made up a song about bagel pizzas to go along with it), and Wednesday is chicken nuggets and corn.

I do not like processed chicken. So it only took one week of store bought chicken nuggets to motivate me to find a reliable chicken nugget recipe...and I have tried a lot! Here is the recipe I have finally settled on to be our usual chicken nuggets:

Leah's Chicken Nuggets (serves 1 adult and 2 very small children)

1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into small "nuggets"
2 tbsp corn starch
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup milk (or half&half or cream)
1/2 cup rice crispies, crushed

In a bowl, mix the corn starch, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add the "nuggets" and toss to completely coat (make sure none are sticking together). Pour nuggets into a strainer and shake (over the sink) to remove all non-stuck-on cornstarch mixture. Put nuggets back in the bowl and pour on milk, stir to coat. Put nuggets into a bag with crushed rice crispies and shake to coat. Place on a greased sheet pan and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes, depending on how big the nuggets are.

I know it doesn't sound like much, but one chicken breast, with the tender attached really makes a big pile of nuggets!

I am considering making a big batch to freeze before baking, but right now all my chicken is frozen, so that has to wait until the next stock making day.

Oh and the rest of the week:

Thursday is egg salad sandwiches and carrot sticks
Friday is fish sticks (storebought, Mrs. Pauls are pretty good) and tater tots
Saturday is chicken salad and green pepper
Sunday is PB&J day with chips and a pickle. Annalise loves the pickle!

No comments: