Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Meal Plan Update

We have gone through one full cycle of the 3 week meal plan and this week is our first week of the 2nd one. I do think this saves extra money - not a lot of money, but a little. It makes it easier to stay within budget, whereas I had been having trouble staying in the $150 limit. Last week I spent about $70 and this week a little less than that. I may have to go back for something before next grocery day, but there is some left over, so that is ok.

I am buying more bulk items than I did before - I didn't like to before because I don't like to have things go to waste, but since the meal plan is limiting, I expect to use all of the bulk in the near future.

The best thing I see so far though is the amount of time it has saved me. I made a batch of dinner rolls and made them into knots - because I thought that would be cute. I picked out enough for dinner to bake and before allowing to proof, froze the rest on a baking sheet. Once they were rock hard, I put them in a container and can take them out as I need them. So tonight, we had homemade dinner rolls...and I didn't have to do a thing, but defrost, proof and bake!

No comments: