Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Daily Bread: Asiago Bread

I realized I'd gotten distracted by my 2009 goal of learning to make yeast breads, so I planned a couple of homemade breads into this week's meal plan. One was this loaf:

Asiago bread - and it's a pretty basic bread except it has cheese in it, namely asiago cheese, except I forgot that what I had in my cheese drawer was swiss and had to use that, but the recipe actually noted that you could use swiss instead of asiago. It turned out nicely with a very crispy, crusty crust, and it went great with the spicy bean soup, which is very tomatoey, so it was kind of an upscale grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup night.

Asiago (or Swiss) Bread

3 1/2 to 3 3/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 package regular or fast-acting dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 1/4 cups water (bottled or filtered)
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
2 teaspoons dried rosemary or thyme leaves, if desired
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups Asiago, Swiss or other firm cheese

Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and water and mix well, cover tightly and let rest for about 1 hour. Then stir in oil, salt, rosemary and enough flour to bring the dough together (I needed a little over 3 cups total). Knead about 5 minutes on the dough hook then knead in about 1 cup of the cheese - the original recipe called for small chunks, but all I had was shredded, next time, I think I'll try chunks to see how it changes things). Form into a ball and place in large greased bowl, covered in a warm place until doubled (45 minutes to 1 hour).

Shape dough into a footlong football shape, place on a greased cookie sheet, cover liberally with flour and then loosely with plastic wrap - stick in a warm place for another hour (or until doubled).

Then spritz the loaf with water, sprinkle with flour, slash it longways and put the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese down the middle. Bake in a 450 oven for 10 minutes, then drop the heat to 400. Bake another 20-25 minutes or until the inner temp is between 200 and 210 degrees (mine took only 20 minutes). Allow to cool for 30 minutes before cutting.

This loaf turned out really good considering I forgot to add salt and oil. :)

2 comments:

Dana said...

This looks sooo good! I'd like to try it. When do you do all this cooking?? You're amazing!

Mean Puppies Inc. said...

It was good! I'm finding that yeast breads are not that time consuming - assuming you are going to be home all day anyway! And often I am :) The long parts are the rises, the other parts are just little 5 minute transitions.