Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Homemade Dog Treats

If you don't have a dog, this probably isn't a recipe you are going to try!

I made these dog treats for Mako last week. I had spent the day making chicken stock and at the end had a pile of soft bones, chicken skin, grisly bits of chicken, and cooked carrots. I also had cooked celery and onions and whole black peppercorns, but I didn't think those things would be good for dogs, so I did my best to pick them out. I used the stock bones, etc from 3 chickens and 2 whole carrots (pureed in the blender) and about 3-4 cups of flour - basically enough to make it kind of doughy. It was about the consistency of cookie dough. I spooned out small portions and baked them for a few minutes at 350 degrees. They didn't spread or brown, but Mako liked them. Rob and I both thought they needed to be crunchier, so the next day I spread them all on a big sheet pan and baked them at 170 until the test pieces crunched when I tossed them to Mako. It took 6-8 hours.

In short, Mako LOVES them and now, not only did I get 9 cups of sodium-free stock out of the bones I would have thrown away, I got all-natural, preservative free dog treats out of them too!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

:) They look scrumptious